Are Scorpions A Problem In Phoenix?
April 15, 2022
With large stingers and painful venom, scorpions are one of Phoenix’s scarier pests, but how much of a problem are they for local residents? Here’s what Phoenix homeowners should know about the type of scorpions that live in Phoenix, whether they invade Phoenix homes, how dangerous they are, and how you can prevent scorpions with pest control in Phoenix.
What Types Of Scorpions Live In Phoenix
Phoenix’s warm and dry climate makes it a popular habitat for many scorpions, but as a homeowner, you’re most likely to run into these four common Phoenix scorpions:
- Bark scorpion: The bark scorpion is one of the most well-known scorpions in Arizona. They have long, slender tails with yellow-tan coloring. Their stings are rarely life-threatening, but they can be extremely painful.
- Striped Tail scorpion: The most common type of scorpion in Arizona, the striped tail scorpion has a large metasoma and dark stripes on its dorsal area.
- Giant hairy scorpion: This is the largest scorpion in the United States, and it has plenty of hair covering its metasoma.
- Yellow ground scorpion: Yellow ground scorpions can be easily mistaken for bark scorpions, but they have wider longer metasomas.
Do Scorpions Invade Phoenix Homes?
Unfortunately for Phoenix homeowners, scorpions can end up in houses from time to time. Most of the time, scorpions invade homes because they’re looking for food and water, although they may sometimes end up inside by accident.
It’s not uncommon for homeowners to accidentally bring in a scorpion that’s hiding in a box, plant, or another object that may have been sitting in the yard. For this reason, it’s always a good idea to inspect any yard debris or other items before they’re brought into your home.
Are Scorpions Dangerous?
The most dangerous scorpion in Arizona is the bark scorpion, whose sting can be extremely painful. These stings often require medical attention but aren’t usually fatal. Still, even if most scorpion stings aren’t deadly, many of these critters can produce venom that’s as painful as a bee sting or worse.
As a result, it’s important for homeowners to make sure they’re safely handling any scorpions they find in their home and the best way to do that is by calling us at Overson Pest Control.
With years of experience, we’ve dealt with scorpions of every size, shape, and color in Phoenix, and we’re prepared to handle any scorpion you may have in your Phoenix home. If you’re finding scorpions around your property or in your home, don’t wait any longer – call us today at Overson Pest Control to learn more about our scorpion control services.
Scorpion Prevention Tips
Along with using professional pest control services, here are some easy ways to prevent scorpions from getting inside your Phoenix home:
- Make sure you inspect any plants, boxes, or rocks that you bring into your home.
- Get rid of any standing water sources on your property, like puddles or flooded gutters.
- Make sure you’re regularly inspecting closets, cabinets, and other dark areas for scorpions.
- Seal up any cracks or crevices that lead into your home with an effective sealant.
- Get rid of any brush, debris, or leaf piles that may be located near the perimeter of your home.
When scorpions make it past your home defenses, don't hesitate to call Overson Pest Control.