The Key To Getting Rid Of Silverfish In Your Phoenix Home
October 15, 2022
Do you have a problem with silverfish in your Phoenix home? These pesky insects can cause a variety of problems in your home and are not easy to get rid of. The pest experts at Overson Pest Control will discuss helpful silverfish facts, the problems they cause in your home, what attracts them, and how to get rid of a silverfish infestation. We will also go over how professional pest control in Phoenix can help keep these pests from invading your home in the first place.
How To Identify A Silverfish
Silverfish are small, wingless insects that get their name from their silvery-gray color and fish-like shape. Silverfish size can range from 1/4 to half an inch long and they have a long, slender body. Silverfish are nocturnal creatures and are most active at night when they come out to feed on food sources. In your home, you can usually find silverfish in bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, and basements where they have access to food and moisture.
Why You Don't Want Silverfish Crawling Around Your Home
Silverfish in Phoenix are not known to carry diseases, but they can cause other problems in your home:
- They can contaminate food sources with their feces.
- Silverfish can damage clothing, books, and other items in your home by eating them.
- They can cause allergic reactions in some people.
- Silverfish are known to eat paper products, which can damage important documents or irreplaceable items such as books and photographs.
- Silverfish eat clothes and can damage other fabrics by eating holes in them.
- Silverfish can be a real nuisance in your home, so it’s important to get rid of them as soon as possible.
Factors That Attract Silverfish Into Your Home
- Moisture: Silverfish thrive in humid environments and are often drawn to areas of high moisture such as kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms.
- Food: Silverfish are attracted to food sources such as cereal, grains, sugars, starches, and even some types of paper.
- Clutter: Cluttered areas such as storage closets or attics provide hiding places for silverfish and make it easier for them to find food sources.
- Warmth: Silverfish are attracted to warm areas of your home and often congregate near heating vents or in attics during the winter months.
By removing these attractants from your home, you can help deter silverfish from invading in the first place. For extra protection, you can also contact a professional pest control company in Phoenix like Overson Pest Control to help keep silverfish out.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of A Silverfish Infestation
If you already have a problem with silverfish in your home, there are several things you can do to get rid of them:
- Remove food sources. Store cereal, grains, sugars, and starches in sealed containers and keep clutter to a minimum.
- Vacuum regularly. Vacuuming regularly will help remove silverfish and their eggs from your home. Be sure to empty the vacuum bag or canister after each use to prevent silverfish from escaping back into your home.
- Call a professional. Contacting the experts at Overson Pest Control is the best way to get rid of silverfish for good.
If you have a silverfish problem that you can’t seem to get rid of, contact the professionals at Overson Pest Control. We will inspect your home for silverfish and other pests and develop a custom treatment plan to get rid of them. We also offer preventive treatments to keep silverfish and other pests from invading your home in the future. Contact us today to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Phoenix, and to get started with a free inspection.